Updated: Sep 2
After six months and 18 exciting races at South Boston Speedway the Sentara Health Late Model Stock Car Division championship will be decided in the season’s final points race, the 150-lap Sentara Health Late Model Stock Car Division race that headlines Saturday night’s Halifax Farm Bureau Championship Night Race at South Boston Speedway.
Carter Langley of Zebulon, North Carolina leads two-time NASCAR national champion and six-time South Boston Speedway champion Peyton Sellers of Danville, Virginia by a slim three-point margin in one of the closest championship points battles in the speedway’s history.
There are multiple scenarios that can decide the championship. Here is a quick look at some of the possibilities.
Carter Langley can win the championship if:
• He finishes ahead of Sellers in the race
• If Sellers wins the race and he finishes second
• If Sellers does not win the race and he finishes within 2 positions behind Sellers
Peyton Sellers can win the championship if:
• He wins the race and Langley finishes 3rd (which would create a tie) or worse. In the event that Sellers wins the race and there is a tie in points, Sellers will win the title on the first tiebreaker criteria which is total race wins for the season.
• If Sellers does not win the race but finishes 3 or more positions higher than Langley, he will win the championship. In the event that Sellers does not win the race but finishes 3 positions higher than Langley, there will be a tie in points and tiebreaker criteria will be used to determine the champion.
• Of note -- due to the Speedway's handicapping system which requires a driver with two wins in a row to start mid-pack in Late Model Stock Car, Sellers must start in the middle of the field for the race regardless of where he qualifies.
In this scenario, with both drivers having won 7 races, the second tiebreaker criteria – the most second-place finishes - will be used and Sellers will win the title based on having the most second-place finishes during the season.
TIEBREAKER CRITERIA - PER THE NASCAR ADVANCE AUTO PARTS WEEKLY SERIES RULEBOOK (as of 8/31/2023)
First Tiebreaker - Most Race Wins (both drivers currently tied for race wins - 7)
2ND Tiebreaker – Most 2nd-Place (Langley 4, Sellers 5)
3RD Tiebreaker – Most 3rd-Place (Langley 3, Sellers 2)
4th Tiebreaker – Most 4th-Place (Langley 0, Sellers 1)
5th Tiebreaker – Most 5th-Place (Langley 0, Sellers 1) ……and so on
If either driver elects to go to the rear post-qualifying and wins they race, they will gain the maximum amount of points (33) and will win the championship.
Be sure to join us Saturday night, Sept. 2 at South Boston Speedway as championships in all four of our NASCAR-sanctioned racing divisions will be determined starting with the first race at 7 p.m. We will cap off the night with a dazzling Labor Day fireworks show presented by Italian Delight Family Restaurant.